Sunday 27 January 2013

Scott Nicholson Interview, author of many supernatural thrillers


Scott Nicholson Interview

First let’s get to know you a little, Scott Nicholson is the author of many horror novels including Speed Dating with the Dead, The Skull Ring, and The Red Church Also a bunch of other books that are now winging their way to my book case thanks to Amazon, check his name out on there.
Here’s a little about him, please include a little bit about yourself fans may not know please Scott.

I have here a few questions Scott has graciously agreed to answer for my blog.

Q. Hi Scott, first off how are you these days?
A. Doing well, living a quiet life in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.=, looking forward to planting season and working on some writing.

Q. Secondly at a guess how long have you been writing for?
A.  Hmm, over 15 years now as a career track, although I’ve been creating all my life.

Q. Please give us a little insight into each of your series’ of books please Scott a little overview to let us know about each one
A. Well, there are so many, we’d be here all day, but I write a lot of supernatural tales borrowing from Appalachian Mountain legends, and I also love mind-twisting psychological thrillers and the occasional fantasy or science-fiction tell. Right now I am working on a post-apocalyptic thriller series, After.

Next I have a few questions from my occasional co-writer on this blog Scott:

Q. when did you realise you wanted to write horror?
A. I don’t think i ever made a conscious decision. It just emerged out of everything I was working on when I started, because I write in many genres. Horror is a terrible marketing label in fiction, because there just isn’t a big audience for it. So I just call everything ‘thrillers” to cover all the bases.

Q. And one more, in overcrowded genre how do you keep things fresh?
A. Well, there’s the business and then there is the art. The business is to watch what is happening and respond in order to reach the most readers. That is an external task. The art is the internal journey, in which nothing else really matters outside your own personal world.

Back to me now:

Q. Scott there’s a lot of Indie writers out there that cater to a very specific crowd of readers now I’ve had the pleasure of interviewing one such man James Cook, how do you feel about these?
A. Whatever makes people happy is great with me. I think the connections made through stories, pictures, and sounds are an amazing part of our human experience. It may be our only salvation amid the madness.

Q. What influences if any have had an impact on your work?
A. Everything. I am curious about the world and can’t make any sense of it, so I steal from everywhere. Early on it was the wild imagination of Dr. Seuss, and then comic books, and then serious literature, and then the commercial storytellers.

Q. What information do you think you can give anyone who hasn’t read or would sway them onto reading your books?
A. There are a lot of great writers out there. All I can do is tell Scott stories, because no one else can do that. But i also believe it is the reader who brings them to life, so I need you!

Q. How popular do you think literature is in the world at moment, as in popular, less popular or on the come back? In my views thanks to kindles/E-readers it’s made a strong comeback (Though a lot of the time I still prefer a good paper or hardback in my hands)
A. The Internet in general has people reading more than at any time in history. It’s not just ebooks, it is texts, emails, Web pages, Facebook posts, tweets, much of our correspondence and interaction. The Kindle just happened to bring books to everyone’s fingertips—the hunger and opportunity was already there.

Q. Do you have a favourite book or series of books yourself, if so what is it?
A. That changes all the time, but generally I like Stephen King, William Goldman, and Ira Levin.

Q. I am currently trying my hand at writing I find it hard to concentrate on it for any long amount of time though, cooking, eating, something else catching my interest. So I write it bit by bit on a blog, how do you stay focused or what are your tricks for sustained and successful writing?
A. No matter how you go about it, it is still one word at a time. There is no better or worse way to do it. The only way to fail is to not do it.

Some fun questions now Scott if you would

Q. Do you have a Zombie Apocalypse plan?
A. Pretty much living it. I’d just as soon be a zombie as some machine-gun-wielding nut case barricaded up in a bunker.

Q. What are your favourite horror films/or series?
A. I like Romero’s zombies, and I also love psychological or poignant movies like Let The Right One In, Session 9, and The Orphanage.

Q. Aside from the obvious zombies what are your favourite classic monsters, Dracula, Frankenstein’s monster, Wolfman?
A. I like the old movies but the tropes don’t really frighten me. i generally prefer supernatural themes simply because they are possible, while I don’t think vampires, zombies, or monsters are possible.

Q. What is your favourite non horror works, films TV etc.
A. I like most kinds of thrillers, although nothing that glamorizes police or military. That macho stuff just doesn’t appeal to me. I also read classics and the fantasy of people like Neil Gaiman and Ray Bradbury.

Q. I believe out of the major horror icons or even apocalypse settings that the zombie isn’t too far off in reality with all the chemicals and other types of ways zombies can be created isn’t it just an accident waiting to happen, what’s your views?
A. I can accept a viral outbreak or chemical contamination infecting all of us really, that is just a matter of whether we last long enough as a species for something like that to wipe us out. Walking around wanting to eat brains, though, I just can’t picture it. It’s really just a metaphor for the strangers inside us, and the strangers we live among.

Q. On that note what is that your favourite zombie reanimation way or do you like/prefer any of the following and what are your views, God/Supernatural, Chemical, Radiation, Voodoo, Viral or Extra-Terrestrial?
A. Any of them work for me, since it is pure imagination. The less explanation the better—just get right to the munching of entrails!

Finally Scott something I’m always interested in knowing running a b-movie/cinema release review blog is:

Q. Where do see your series’ and writing going in the future, as in more follow ups, new ideas, or any film/TV series plans?
A. I’ve written some screenplays but I’m not pursuing it too vigorously, since it is simpler just to sit home and write than to network with people who might have money to spend. I really have about four big book ideas, including the After series, and then I’ll see where things stand in a couple of years.

And is there anything else you would like to say to your readers and viewers of this blog? Please write below

Thanks for having me and I invite people to sign up for my newsletter for Kindle giveaways, free books, and exclusive news: http://eepurl.com/tOE89. Or drop by my website http://www.hauntedcomputer.com to learn about my books or order signed copies.
also heres his amazon page http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Nicholson/e/B001HCX30O
and uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scott-Nicholson/e/B001HCX30O/

Awesome interview there Scott really loved some of your answers hope this gives your fans an insight into their author of choice.
As usual The horror nation fans you can like me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/TheHorrorNation

Or on twitter on

look forwards to hearing from you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment