Monday 18 February 2013

Dead Before Dawn/Zemons, Review


Dead Before Dawn/Zemons, Review

Year: 2012
Stars: Devon Bostick, Christopher Lloyd, Martha MacIsaac
Directed: April Mullen
Running Time:  85 mins



When I saw this film had Christopher Lloyd in it, I was sold I had to watch it. Directed by April Mullen (She’s directed two other film’s Gravy Train, Rock, Paper, Scissors and stared in a few as well) the first Canadian film live action film shot in 100% 3D.
Big whoopee on that like most adults my age I can’t see 3D that well I have a slight turn in my one eye as you need 20/20 vision, with me one eye notices the 3D now and then and I get a head ache, and no glasses don’t help.
Anyway enough about me, so DBD is a Canadian 3D film, when I first started watching this I felt it was more like a Disney Channel made for TV type film, you know the usual stuff they have on around halloween time. In fact I had to double check I wasn’t accidently watching one.
We get a weird beginning with our main protagonist as a small child in some shop with his dad and some skull. The dad slips and somehow turns into a demon with red eyes. Another reason why I thought this might be a Disney movie is the actors they all seem to be of that ilk and a few of them I have actually seen in Disney things.
Especially Kyle Schmid who is also famous for blood ties amongst other things (A series that ended mysteriously they never as far as I can tell officially cancelled it?)
Anyway the main kid Casper is shit scared to work in the shop where that happened to his dad; strangely his grandpa (Lloyd) owns the shop. He rings Casper saying he’s getting an award for some occult thing and asks if he would look after the shop.
He initially says no and heads off to school where his friend sticks up for him against the bully (Schmid) and they talk about family sticking up for each other.
In a bout of guilt over *family* Casper decides to look after the shop, he’s given rules the first two are stupid looking after the shop stuff and the third is to in no circumstances mess with an evil demon holding urn (it’s the urn that turns his dad evil in the beginning)
When a girl he fancies comes into the shop to pay off a book she mentions about the urn and wanting to see it he reluctantly does and it breaks and they get a silly curse that they all make up parts of too happen too them.
People who they look into their eyes will suddenly commit suicide then turn into zombies, no zemons and try to hicky them to death. There’s more to it but I think you get the gist.
Anyway they only have a limited time to stop the curse; they join forces with others against the zemons and try to find a way to stop it.
This film wasn’t that good at all some of the acting wasn’t great and though some of the comedy funny it overall just failed. I'm sure some people 13+ may appreciate it, unfortunately it just wasn’t for me.
As always I won’t spoil the end as you may decide to watch it this only scores and overall 2 out of 5 here folks totally up to you if you want to waste 85 mins.

As always find me on twitter  under thehorrornation
and like and follow me on 
facebook for updates you would't get on my blog http://www.facebook.com/TheHorrorNation?ref=hl

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, but I disagree with everything you wrote...

    A Disney made movie ? When was the last time you watched a Disney movie, seriously ?

    DBD 3D is a comedy with a slice of horror, so that you can watch it in family. There is a lot of work behind if you didn't notice it.

    It has been awarded at the "3D Stereo Media Summit and Film Festival" as best 3D indie movie. It can also be seen in 2D.

    And for the record, Kyle Schmid has done a lot of things since "Blood Ties", this was 6 years ago.

    He appeared in many films, has the leading role in a wonderful indie movie named "Dark Hearts" (coming out in 2013), was guest starring in "Arrow", "Being Human" and is currently shooting the second season of "Copper".

    Saying that the actors are bad is rude, especially for Brittany Allen who won an Emmy award... They are all confirmed actors, take some time to watch what they've done before !

    The humour is "second degree", but I guess you didn't get it. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you notice i said made for TV movie like they do on the Disney channel, not their cinema releases. This was very reminiscent of the horror fare they show around Halloween time.
      I was mentioning Kyle Schmid in blood ties because thats the thing i liked him the most and know him best for, and shock horror he's also been in Disney stuff!
      I didn't like the movie but i take your criticism on my critising of this movie under my wing like i do on all comments and thank you

      Delete