Saturday 27 April 2013

James Cook, Surviving the Dead book 3 release interview


Third Book Interview with James Cook

Friend and author James Cook has the third book in his Surviving the Dead series released imminently on May the 1st 2013. In this short follow up interview I ask how he’s been and how it was writing the third instalment to his exciting series.

Q1. Hey James how have you been since the last interview it’s been a little while
A.
I’ve been doing very well. After the release of my second novel, and its subsequent success, I resigned from my job as an investment advisor and started writing full-time. That was back in August, and I spent the next seven-or-so months pounding away at my third novel, Warrior Within. It hasn’t been all rainbows and butterflies, but I must admit that being a writer is the best job in the world. I’m happier than I’ve ever been.

Q2. Can you give us a quick recap on the story arc?
A.
In the first novel, we’re introduced to the main character, Eric Riordan, and his long-time friend and former Marine Corps scout sniper, Gabriel Garrett. The story follows Eric through the Outbreak, and details his journey to a community of survivors in Alexis, North Carolina. He stays with them for a few months, has a brief romance with the leader’s daughter, and then eventually they are discovered by a roving Army patrol. The patrol informs them of the meltdown of a nearby nuclear power plant, and advises them to leave. Most of the survivors follow the Army to a safe zone at Fort Bragg, but Eric decides to strike out on his own and reunites with Gabriel.

In the second novel, Eric and Gabriel decide to journey west to Colorado where the remnant of the Federal Government and the military has established a fortified community in Colorado Springs. On the way, they encounter a family of fellow survivors, and agree to let them follow along. They get as far as Western Tennessee, where they are attacked by members of a rogue para-military group calling themselves the Free Legion. Three of the protagonists are wounded, Eric quite badly, and they barely manage to escape with their lives. A short time later, they make their way to a large survivor stronghold at Hollow Rock, Tennessee. After Eric is nursed back to health, he and Gabriel decide to help the people of Hollow Rock strike back at the Legion. The third novel is the story of that conflict.

Q3. So a third book to your series, so what can we expect character development wise?
A.
Character development is kind of my thing. Eric discovers more of his potential, for better or worse, and we learn more about Gabriel’s shadowy, violent past. The story focuses strongly on the changes wrought on the two men by the end of the world, and the consequences of their actions in the wake of that tragedy. I can’t really say anymore without giving away the story, so I’ll leave it at that.

Q4. Being the third part in a series you probably had ideas in your head for this either from the beginning or at least into writing the second novel, so how hard was it to write?
A.
Some of it was easy, and some of it was damned hard. There are scenes that I wrote in just a few short hours, and there are scenes that were like pulling teeth. Some of the scenes tackle harsh subject matter, and others are just damned brutal. There was one scene in particular—involving sexual abuse—that left me drained and gripped by a deep melancholy. I had to drive over to my favourite tavern and knock back a few cold ones after I wrote it. It was probably two days before I finally shook off that particular case of the blues. But that’s how writing is, if you want it to be good at it. Pain is like high-octane fuel for a writer, and some of my best writing is done when it hurts the most.

Q5. Are there any more parts on the cards or is the last one?
A.
Definitely more. This is an on-going series, not just a trilogy.

Q6. Any other works you are working on that we may see in the future?
A.
My next project is a stand-alone novel set in the Surviving the Dead universe, and after that I’ll start on a vampire hunter series that I have been planning for a long time. The series title will be Jeremiah Cain: Vampire Hunter,  and the first novel will be titled Burn Them All. After that, probably another Surviving the Dead novel, and then on to the first part in a fantasy trilogy that will be titled Gladiator of Corsryn.

Finally James is there anything extra you would like to say to your fans here:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Being a writer has been a life-long dream for me, and now I am finally living it. Gratitude is a weak, petty word to express how I feel to everyone who has supported me by buying and enjoying my work. I promise that I will never take this gift for granted, and that I will continue to write fast-paced, entertaining fiction for decades to come.

(Lord willin’, and the creek don’t rise.)

Thanks for another interview for my blog James look forwards to any future projects you are working on, which sound like there are many to come too. Personally can’t wait for that Gladiator series I like a good fantasy novel lots in the future for you then.
THN.

No comments:

Post a Comment